Monday, July 27, 2009

Chord Chemistry by Ted Greene


This book is for any serious guitar player, and definitely should then be combined with Ted's "Modern Chord Progressions". This book has much info for any musician, on Harmonizations and Voice-Leading. His approach to guitar is simply superb. There are enough examples to intrigue for quite awhile.

I first bought this book in the 1970's. Ted taught at Ernie Ball Guitars on Topanga Canyon Blvd in the 1960's, in Canoga Park. Friends and I lived there part time, as did many others. So, when the book came out I was an early beneficiary.

"Modern Chord Progressions", lays off some of the Theory, and just gives page after page of often 4 chord change voicings (think 3-6-2-5 or maybe 1-6-2-b9 progressions of every flavour). These are presented in massive quantities of refined voicings for Jazz or Classical textured guitar chord melody.

I long ago gave away my original copy, and then later gave away a few more copies. I bought one recently, and gave it away within days, and had to order it again. Giving this book to someone is like shining a light in the darkness.

This is a really good book for guitarists that want to play more than the basic chords they find everywhere, and want it to all come together in a seriously beautiful way.

http://rapidshare.com/files/260757120/Chord_Chemistry_by_Ted_Greene.pdf

2 comments:

  1. Ted at Ernie Ball Guitar shop, exactly as I remember him. Your story, of giving this book as a gift, repeatedly mirrors my own. Thx for this.

    ReplyDelete